From David Fetter's page at http://fetter.org/optimization.html:
- The first rule of Optimization Club is, you do not Optimize.
- The second rule of Optimization Club is, you do not Optimize without measuring.
- If your app is running faster than the underlying transport protocol, the optimization is over.
- One factor at a time.
- No marketroids, no marketroid schedules.
- Testing will go on as long as it has to.
- If this is your first night at Optimization Club, you have to write a test case.
Of course it's company policy never to imply ownership of a performance problem. Always use the indefinite article: "a performance problem", never "your performance problem."